Thread: Homemade Bread
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2009, 09:30 AM   #32
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by advtek
WHERE can I find some bread-machine recipes that won't result in such a heavy, dense loaf? I LOVE homemade bread but even if I just use the machine to make the dough, it still comes out really heavy.

I want to lighten up my loaves...
It's not your bread machine. It's operator error.

If your loaves are coming out too dense, you've got too much liquid in your dough.

Bread dough should be tacky, but not sticky. When you touch unfloured bread dough and you pull your finger away, the dough should pull up with your finger, but should leave your finger clean when it breaks away.

It should be about as tacky as the back of a post-it note.

If there's dough stuck to your finger when you pull it away, you've got too much liquid in it and you need to add more flour. Work in one additional tablespoon of flour at a time until it gets about as tacky as the back of a post-it note.

If the dough isn't tacky enough to pull up with your finger, you don't have enough liquid in the dough. Work in one additional tablespoon of water at at time until it gets about as tacky as the back of a post-it note.

Humidity will have an effect on your dough.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote