View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 01:38 PM   #6
whizzerwheel OP
Using Occam's Razor

Oddometer: 1,222
We went through the towns of Toro Amarillo, Colonia del Toro and Aguas Zarcas. Some of these towns were little more than a small cluster of homes with a little general store nearby.
We knew of a hotel with hot springs on the premises just outside of Aguas Zarcas and even though it was a little early to stop for the day we were considering doing so, based on the condition of our butts. It's one thing to ride a DR650, but two up makes it so the riders are not in the normal riding position. I was too far forward on a skinny seat and Carla was squished up against the dry bag and me. Bottom line is...it limits the miles to something a bit less than your average adventure trip. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not complaining, just trying to give a little perspective.

Anyways we got to the place, I think it was called Termales de Bosque and it was full...no vacancy. I was actually a little relieved, since it had the air of a very expensive resort, and thats not what I came to Costa to experience. And neither did my wallet. On we went...La Fortuna and the Arenal Volcano next stop. Well about mile 110 the bikes starts to buck a little... then die...hmmm I thought Thorsten said I'd get 150 miles out of a tank of gas. I pulled over and switched it onto reserve and restarted...good, fuel just getting low. We backtracked about 10 miles to find a gas station after a few false stops and misdirections. I think I was running on fumes at that point. Onward...We pass thru many little towns as the day ticks away and before I know it, it starts to sprinkle...then downright rain, and its getting dark.
Riding at night in Costa Rica is not a smart thing to do. Mainly because of the erratic road surface and potholes that will swallow your front tire up to the axle. Not to mention the various array of critters that are constantly in or crossing the road. We pull into La Fortuna in the dark and stop at a information office. They direct us up the road about 5 miles to a hotel that has what we're looking for.

Hmmm where did she go...

Well you get the idea...

The next morning we walked around and it was still raining off and on. We hoped it would clear soon.

I kept walking out front to see if I could get a view of the volcano

We continued onto the "Arenal Observatory" which I thought was some kind of...well, observatory. Oddly, it turned out to be a hotel and restaurant. But it had one heck of a view of the volcano....if it weren't in the clouds.

A coupla more random shots of the volcano that we never saw the top of

On the way up to the "observatory" we saw this little contraption...I think it was a generator running this guys operation

There were quite a few hiking trails at the observatory, so we decided to hike down to a waterfall...maybe a mile round trip.

What we found

OK back on up the trail

My steed waiting patiently

Since we left the hotel late due to the rain, we didn't get far that day and stayed just shy of the town of Arenal. We took the road around the north side of the lake.

Oh, I almost forgot...we saw a whole bunch of these in this area. Crossing the road at the observatory, et.
they're called coatamundi. I'm not positive on my spelling.

Local trivia:
Lake Arenal, is a lake created for hydro power and is located at the base of the Arenal volcano. The Arenal Volcano erupted in 1968 killing about 70 people in the neighborhood. The town of Arenal was moved to its present location at the Northeast end of the lake when the river was dammed and the lake created.

Not wanting to duplicate my night ride of last night, I was a little anxious to find accomodations today and ended up at this odd little Swiss oasis.

Even though the sign said hotel and restaurant...the restaurant was closed. Oh well, it turned out to be a good thing.

We checked in, and they told us there were places to eat down the road. We found this:

Inside:

The view

The owner lady and her daughter had some fun with us and our crappy spanish skills. They were quite amused by the stuff we said. But in the end we had a great meal. Tipical style

The girls

I like the graphics on the bike that was outside

So after dinner I went down the street to another little soda where I could buy a cerveza and brought it back to the hotel for a little nightcap on the balcony.

WR's in NH and Maine: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733821
whizzerwheel is offline   Reply With Quote