View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 08:41 AM   #409
DirtyDR650
Mud Lover

Oddometer: 332
Howdy from Oregon County

Howdy ya'll... just skimmed through this thread and ya'll seem like a fun bunch. Thought I'd introduce myself.

I live in Oregon County a bit north of Alton, south of Winona off SR19. My stompin' grounds are the Eleven Point and Wilderness areas of the Mark Twain, been riding/exploring all over here since getting my '08 DR650 a couple years ago.

I'm a crotchety 50-something old fart who lives out in the boonies, our property borders the Eleven Point area, the river is just a mile down at the end of our county road. Any direction from the farm is great DS riding... some legal, even. Most trails are used by the camo/orange 4-wheeler crowd. I'm the ONLY DS rider around here and so I do a lot of solo riding.

Also own a '07 Bandit 1250, 'cuz there's a lot of mighty fine twisties 'round these parts too... the 45-mile stretch of SR160 between Alton and Doniphan has around 150 curves of all shapes and sizes from off-camber doglegs to double-apex carousels. Much fun.

Been riding off-road and on for about 45 years and can't stop. I'm sorta reckless or just a lousy rider I guess, I'm either riding or recovering from riding injuries... like right now letting my smashed foot heal up, dropped the DR in the mud with my foot folded up under it last month.

The DR is currently in my shop on the crate getting a bunch of mods, getting ready to do the TAT next spring with a bud from Wisconsin. She'll be back up and running in another week or two, and I have a lot of riding to do to get in shape for the TAT.

I don't get over to ya'll's neck of the woods much, but this coming spring and summer I'm thinking ya'll might like to come visit over here where the REAL hillbillies are and enjoy some gnarly trails or the hundreds of miles of gravel county roads and fire tracks. We have plenty of acreage for ya'll's camping pleasure, a cool old trailer parked in the woods, a couple hippy schoolbuses, and there's a spare shower/guest room back of the shop. My wife is a real sweetheart and happily welcomes stray dawgs like ya'll. Just plain hill folks, we are.

A few pics from the area... this is just a mile from our place, deep down in the hollers:

Farm road just east of here:

Pastures to the west:

The Wilderness area:

Blue Hole trail (an easy part):

The Eleven Point River:

DirtyDR650 is offline   Reply With Quote