View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 04:25 PM   #12
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,563
day 3

So i woke on day 3, feeling surprisingly refreshed..

job number 1 for the day was to clean the helmet

then a quick look at the ocean.. wasnt taking the bike down onto the beach though.... had enough sand yesterday

rough plan was to head toward Mount Gambier, then down to the coast and continue east..

took the back way from Millicent, via the pine forests...

i love riding in pine forests...

spent a good few hours speeding around the forest tracks (there is a lot of pines down South East SA...)

Figured i should move on... into grazing land..

not a bad spot for morning tea...

more great tracks....

think someones taking the piss.....

finally got to Mount Gambier, got some retail therapy.. (well bought a towel )

why is it you always forget 'something'.. 'spose its just as well i didnt get to the beach yesterday.. although i would have dried in no time in that heat..

Anyway south from "the Mount", (ok, more 'westish' but i dont like to admit i was kinda going backwards...) hit the township of Carpenter Rocks...

then continued my 'habbit' or trying to follow the coast...

eventually got thru to Port MacDonnell.. for a late lunch..

next stop was Nelson.. (after running over a snake of course)

Glenelg River at Nelson has some great boat sheds along the river..

had a bit of a poke aroung Nelson (nice place, not much there), refueled and headed off into the Lower Glenelg National Park...

Great country in here, great tracks..mix of red dirt/clay and a bit of sand now and then just to keep you honest..

and a beautiful river..

anyone else ever notice how you ALLWAYS seem to end up on the wrong side of a 'management vehicles only' gate

luckily this one wasnt actually locked..

did i mention how good the river looked?!!

think i'll have to come back with a kayak one day...

decided late in the day that i should really end up a lot closer to the Grampians tonight (since i was meeting the lads at the 'giant panda' at noon tomorrow )

so i hot tailed dirt roads thru Mt Eccles and Mt Napier forrests

Refuelled at Hamilton, looked at the sky and thought... "hmm, could be some weather about.." (would be nice after 3 days of near 40 degrees )

Back road to Dunkeld was wet... but i didnt really get rained on...although lookin at the sky i figured i probably would at some point..

it was just about 8pm when i hit Dunkeld.. figured i'd just make a quick stop at the pub to see what time then did dinner till (bein a flash pub and a friday night, i figured probably nine, at least 8:30..), plan was to grab a take away beer, duck down to the camp ground, set-up and get back and have some dinner at the pub..

wasnt to be..

asked the bar guy 'what time you doing dinner till?'

"you have about 30 seconds to order" was his reply... "unless you want the $150 per head degustation in the dinning room"...

whats a bloke to do..
ordered a pint and a mixed grill...

had a pint (or 2 ) and possibly the worst mixed grill i'd ever had (the de-gustation is supposed to be great.. chatted to a few locals and headed off to setup camp (promising the locals i'd be back...)

Got to camp, rang the bell (hey after Mannums campground experience )

was greeted by a cheerie bloke "gday mate, nice bike!..."

asked how much unpowered sites are "$15 bucks" was the reply (better than Mannum i thought)

"just the one of you is there?" he said... 'yep, just me'..

"oh, well if there's just one of you, just make it $10 bucks"... sweet!! i think..

he shows me off to a 'quite' part of the park away from 'those noisey kids down by the creek' (nice!)

then he starts to tell me about the shower block and how there is a kitchen with microwave, kettle etc..

i cut him short, saying 'nah thats fine mate, just had dinner down the pub, pop back after settin up me tent for a nightcap, crash and be up and gone early in the morning, so wont need any of that.."

so whats he say...

"oh well if your not needing the kitchen, just make it $5 bucks for the night"

that clown from Mannum should come down here for a holiday....

pub, few knock-off drinks, listen to the (few) locals grizzle (understandably) about their pub being bought out by a QC from Sydney and 'yuppified'..

head off, promising to be back 'one day', hot shower and bed...

end of day 3..................

GoneAgain screwed with this post 09-06-2011 at 01:27 AM
GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote