View Single Post
Old 01-10-2010, 11:13 PM   #11
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeyman
My Quota hates my commute, she fouls plugs, spits, farts and gets shit gas mileage to let me know that seven miles twice a day is no way to treat a lady. I've been looking for a cheap bike (bordering on free) to take over commuting duties. I had a '00 DR200 for a while but it was too slow/small.

Today a 1980 GN400 pops up on CL for $400, that's a bike right in my wheelhouse. Absolutely no collectable value, one cylinder and zero cool, my motorcycle soulmate if there ever were. I drove out to see it in the dark (never a good idea as you probably know but I've got kids and responsibilities). It was a mess, paint by Sherwin Williams, ancient tires, broken taillight/signals empty stale smelling gas tank with a nice rusty patina inside and liberally covering the rest of the bike...and it didn't run. I had a weak moment when I kicked it over and heard the healthy compression of a thumper wanting to run again but I let logic prevail.

The kid wanted $400 for it, after doing the math I offered $250 due to the obvious issues. He countered to $300 but I was stretching it at $250. He's got my number, 50/50 odds he'll call me and I'll have the start of a cheap cafe'/commuter project.

Watch this space.

All EFI Quota's shipped to North America had serious software issues with their ecu's. New ecu's were sent out for every bike. Symptoms of a bad ecu were terrible gas mileage, spitting and inconsistant throttle response, generally shitty running. I know 3 guys who have Quota's, and had the ecu's changed years ago, transformed the machine.

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote