View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 11:59 AM   #121
rhys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
I could really act out on my light fetish, but I don't.....

I bought a Surefire years ago because it's what the cops were using for night shooting and I was about to enroll in one the courses. As handy and heavy duty as my Surefire is, the damn thing would go through CR123 batteries like candy! I had no need for it and it sat unused for the next ten years.

Upon returning to 'The Dark Side', I broke out the old Surefire, and heard that for $45 I could convert it to LED. I can NOT believe how long a pair of batteries will last in the damn thing now!!?! And BRIGHT, much brighter than the old bulb! I'm happy..... but it can be too bright sometimes. So I went to our local Batteries Plus and saw an LED flashlight that slips into my pocket next to my pen, 'Streamlight Stylus Pro'... perfect, and still reasonably bright.

And as a novelty item, I bought this little 'NANOLIGHT' by Streamlight to hang on my keychain. Well..... I decided to hang it from the zipper of my uniform/jumpsuit. Now I have a hands-free light that I can read by while taking count and illuminate the steps as I descend from the third tier.

LED is wonderful stuff, and a flashlight that can be stepped down from BRIGHT to low light, with a beam that can be focused from a pencil thin beam to wide angle would be the perfect tool. Encase it in something industrial, given the options of twist on/off and an end cap on/off. Yep, I've seen some GREAT flashlights in this thread, but alas I have toys already paid for and performing the job as needed. I better NOT buy one of these very cool lights as shown in this thread!

rhys screwed with this post 01-13-2010 at 02:46 PM
rhys is offline   Reply With Quote