Thread: barn finds
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #250
Otis the Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,090
What can turn you into a Hoarder? Crap like this.....

1976; Saved a 1965 396 Impala SS from being crushed (they were loading it onto the truck to go to the crusher when I bought it from the junkyard). Sold it 6 mos later. A year later I find out that guy left it sitting on a city street when he moved. It got towed, he never retrived it from the pound. It got crushed anyway.

1981; Found a 1958 Willys FC-170 with 32,000 miles in a barn. I get it running and sell it. A year later, the guy gets hooked on Crack and gets himself killed while making a buy in East Saint Louis. His dad puts it in his barn (won't sell it). Then Dad dies and last I heard "the daughter had it hauled off".

1984; I sell my Chopped Hardtail 1970 Honda 750. Four years later I'm at at some guys house workin' a deal to swap a PERFECT '50 Dodge Wayfarer Businessman's Coupe for a '70 Monte Carlo and some cash. There sits my old chopper with no tires on it. Under a pine tree. On it's side.
"Yeah, I bought it from so-in-so. I needed the tires for sumthin' else. I'll get back to it someday."

THEN....
I give the the '70 Monte to a gal I was dating at the time. We break up. It sits for a couple of years, and I buy it back for $150 (what they were going to give her for scrap). I get it running (again) and sell it to..... a guy who wrecks it a week later.

And the PERFECT '50 Dodge? THAT guy decides he's gonna' do a Custom. Chops the top off, strips all the trim off, guts the interior.....
and then shoves it under that same big pine tree.
Right next to my old chopper.

THEN...
In '93 I sell my 2nd favorite car. 1965 Riviera, 425 Single 4-barrel, factory vinyl top, rare color/options car. Needed quarter panels, paint, and some interior work, but was my Daily Driver. I sell it cheap to a body man who is hot-to-trot to Restore it.
3 years later some gal cals my work. "My's boyfriend bought your old car from so-and-so buts the title's all messed up. Can you help?" Sure, for money. Later when I talk to boyfriend, I figure out that he makes his money as a "retail recreational pharmaceutical stimulants salesman" and he's letting a pit bull live in it "to help guard on it" while he "learns how to use that Bondo stuff".

And those are just my Favorite Stories. I got more.
-------------------------------------------

Now, in all of these transactions, I made money. But I actallly LIKE cool cars/bikes. And it just kills me to see them get wasted like that.

So someday I'm buyin' a place with LOTS of BIG barns, fillin' them up, and then I'm NOT SELLING ANYTHING TO ANYBODY!!!!

Otis

Fact is, I like roads. I like to move.
Harry Truman
Otis the Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote