View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 10:00 AM   #40
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet
It was brought up in the dakar thread that the drz would make a great econo-entry. It seems that the rfs is already a proven dakar entity and cheap to boot, these days.
I apologize, that was me I fear...

I do think the DRZ engine is a strong contender, particularly in the Marathon class - and for a privateer on a budget, the weight of the chassis is not going to be as vitally important compared to the reliability...

And I agree with you the RFS engined KTMs are probably the more 'enthusiastic' choice, and like you say, plenty of those around these days, even if they would ideally be freshened up with a new barrel and piston for example?

Personally I'd like to see the new Suzuki RMX450 with a rally kit fitted - yes it is a young machine, but I understand that the service schedule does not require a piston change in the same way as virtually every other enduro engine used in competition is required? With any luck, this powerplant should offer good power AND reliability... it already has decent suspension - all you'd need is a fairing and tank kit...

Hmmmmm...

Jenny xx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote