View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 09:27 AM   #165
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackPearl
We are actually thinking about buying a cam like that - something that produces great pictures without a lot of work and thinking. Would you recommend the Powershots or not?
Thanks!
I have a Canon A570 IS, and it has been the best digital camera I ever had. The user interface is intuitive, unlike many other brands. Image stabilization really helps. After having a Nikon with a specialized and expensive battery, I decided AA battery powered cameras are the only way to go. Cheap and easy to carry a pair of spare AA rechargeables, and I can always use lithium or alkaline in a pinch.

I used a couple of previous generation A series Canon cameras several for years at work, and that is why when I needed a new personal one I didn't consider anything else. The Powershots are simliar, a bit smaller. Can't go wrong. Not sure how Kam manages to shoot his lefthanded. Mine is righty only ergos, despite many efforts to shoot left.

I dropped my current one, ruined the LCD. Was more than a year old, so out of warranty (though warranty won't cover a broken display anyway). Went into the local Canon repair depot, and the nice lady agreed to replace the LCD no charge ($100 + shipping is the normal charge). So good on Canon for customer service as well as a great product.