View Single Post
Old 02-12-2010, 07:03 AM   #140
canadaler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)
Libya has changed in recent years - they are actively encouraging tourism... that is not to say there won't be the odd fractious group trying it on, but I imagine the government will do everything they can to ensure the huge ASO money machine is welcome in Libya?

J xx
I've been keeping an eye on the LDC and it seems to have gotten back on track over the last couple of years, following a very sketchy start and cancellation a few years back.

One thing which can change virtually overnight though is the status of things like visitor's visas. One day you could be allowed in, the next day not. Canada pissed them off and we are now persona-non-grata there. Same thing could potentially happen to Yanks and Brits at the drop of a hat. But personally...I don't think I'd worry as much about personal security there as much as in Mauritania.

The other issue I have with it (since I cross the Canada/US border so frequently) is with the current state of security I'm not sure I want the extra scrutiny a Libyan stamp on my passport would garner me every time at the US border.

One thing is for sure...the dunes and landscape there are simply astounding.
'84 Honda VT500FT Ascot
Tuareg Rally 2009

canadaler screwed with this post 02-12-2010 at 07:11 AM
canadaler is offline   Reply With Quote