View Single Post
Old 02-12-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
joelord OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
DR650 TAT Build, prep, ride Summer 2010

Well here goes… I have decided to do the Trans America Trail. This is a dual sport ride that goes from East to west starting in Tennessee and ending up in Oregon. I will be leaving from Massachusetts so you can say it is a coast to coast ride!
The Idea started when my girlfriend’s father sent me a link to this “trail”. I have never heard of it before this and I was instantly hooked. You see I have watched “Long way round” and “Long way down” so many times I could play any part in the film. I sit and envy them for their free spirit, adventurous ways and most of all their funds to accomplish such a task!
It took almost a month of visiting the Trans American Trail website to get up the courage to say “I am going to do that”!
First order of business… Find a bike! I did some research and I have owned many dual sports in the past namely, 1999 DR650, 2 KLR650’s, and a KTM 640 LC4. So I know what I am in for. After some consideration it was clear that the bike would be the Suzuki DR650. My reasoning was simple. The best all a rounder and with its relatively low seat height it made it an easy choice for me. Next up was to set a budget. After looking around at what the bike would cost and the gear needed I put a reasonable budget number of $6000 on the project. That is Bike all the farkles to make the trip as well as spares and such. That is all in except for incidentals and travel expenses once underway.
Now to find the bike!

It had to be 1999 or newer since that was the last change and they have not updated them since. I was hoping to find one with some goodies already installed to help my budget. I found a 2006 with 6k miles on eBay located in Springfield, Mass. After some nervous last seconds I won the bike! It had Bark busters installed and a skid plate. Not too much but the price was right $2500. Here she is in my shop after I got her home. Not pretty but by no means ugly, a diamond in the rough. I did spend some time with the bike telling it that we were going to go across the country together and it will be a great adventure… I always wonder what the bikes lives were like before joining up with me. Was the owner before as nutty as I am, was he a new rider, experienced, was the bike for commuting, did he sell it to upgrade, I know I get caught up into it a little….

Let the fun begin! Time to order parts, parts, and parts! Photos to come once I figure this out!

joelord screwed with this post 02-13-2010 at 09:18 AM
joelord is offline   Reply With Quote