View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 08:38 PM   #108
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie
I just talked to the guys father on the phone as the owner isn't around. Estimated 25 hours a year and it was bought new in 03. No real maintenance to speak of and it sounds as though the bike is very likely to be in stock form.

So I'm looking at an 03 with potentially 175 hours and likley more on the clock and very little to maybe no maintenance.

So what would be the thoughts of the more knowledgeable which I'm sure the greater percentage here are?

I know nothing of the maintenance intervals and although the budget is going to be tight I'd like to start out as fresh as I can with this bike to know where to take maintenance from the point of sale.

When I take a look at it, what should I focus on as to avoid potential issues other then the obvious such as leaks and so one? Wrap the piss out of it during the test ride?

I was just told of another KTM in the general area today as well, I'm hoping it's a 300 and maybe closer to my tight ass budget.
You should go poke around in the two-stroke section at www.ktmtalk.com
You will find all the answers to your questions.

Basically the 300 is and always has been an "enduro" tuned motor. They tend to run a long time on a top-end and the transmissions are bulletproof.

Suspension would likely need to be redone, seals and new oil in the very least, and maybe the usual stuff like chain, sprockets, wheel bearings and perhaps steering head bearings. None of this will break the bank though.

Proper warm-up is crucial to 2t longevity. Make sure the bike is cold and ask him to start it and ride it himself first. If he gets on it and goes without letting it warm up (a couple minutes at least) then I would be a bit concerned. Not much but definitely a bit about the condition of the cylinder. The rings and cylinder wear faster if you ride hard before the motor is fully warmed up; that's just basic 2t knowledge.

Ride the bike through all the gears. Try finding neutral from first and second. Check the clutch action too. A stiff clutch could mean something as simple as a seizing cable or it could mean the basket is getting grooved.

Check for slop in the rear shock bushings. Just lifting on the rear of the bike will show you if there is too much play.

Check the transmission oil to make sure it is not milky, a sign that is is leaking coolant into it.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote