View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #78
moventurer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Good work...

I got spoiled by centerstands in the past, and would love to add one to a bike of mine.

However, If the stand weighs approx 10lbs, then the swinging portion probably weighs in the neighborhood of 8lbs+. If the spring only applies 18-22.5lbs of holding force, I'm concerned the stand will come down when jumping.

I don't mean this as any sort of criticism, but rather as input in order to be sure the product works as planned. Having the centerstand deploy while in the air doesn't sound like a problem until it happens to you. If the stand becomes fully deployed, as it did a few years ago, when I jumped an old road bike, it can cause serious damage to the engine cases and frame.

In my case, it snapped the centerstand brackets off on one side taking a big chunk of frame with it, seriously damaging the frame. On the other side, the weld of the centerstand bracket broke stabbing the bottom of the engine, and cracking the cases.

Now I don't expect you to design these for hitting the motocross track, anyone doing big jumps can remove the stand before hand... But if it can't handle a drop from at least three or four feet, without deploying, I probably would never be able to leave it on the motorcycle, since I'm always looking for some airtime.

Can someone test and video these prototypes to see how large a drop they can handle?
moventurer is offline   Reply With Quote