View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 10:42 PM   #8
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northyork
I have ordered the full set of engine guards from Perry, http://www.motorcycleproducts.org/En...ds/DR650SE.htm, hopefully they will arrive this coming week. Have a tube of silicone waiting for them :)
Never thought about Bark Busters, thank you for mentioning them. Did not know about the issues with the tail light....... I thought that most people were doing the change just for aesthetics.
I have gone out to the garage and weighted the Pelicans Storm IM2600 with the racks attached to them they came to 12.2Kg, I am going to guess here.... the hardware parts that stay in the bike are probably another 1Kg? 1.5Kg?
I also got the liner bags, Givi T468, 800g each

So, the total added weight should be 12.2Kg +1.5Kg=13.7Kg (30.2lb)
If you were to add the Liner bags it will total 15.3Kg (33.7lb)

The way I see it, it is not fare to compare hard luggage to soft ones they are just in two different categories.

Just for the record, I weight around 210lb and the bike has a 8.1Kg Eibach
spring in the back and 0.5kg fork springs with a 2 1/2" spacers.
If you're not planning any off road then no worries, you'll be fine as is. I like the Pelicans (I carry camera and audio equip. in them!) but for longer off road travel I prefer soft bags. But hard bags are fine too. Did you know if you break a Pelican ... they give you a free one?

You got the right spring on there. Bike should work great everywhere even fully loaded. Bark Busters even make sense on the street. Mostly they save levers. But don't forget why they were originally invented : Hand protection. I've hit some nastly stuff with no injuries due to bark busters. (this on dirt bikes)
Even in a fall, just hang on and slide along the ground. Your hands are protected ... I've done it.

You will like the AMP case guards. I have only the left side one but it's save my bike a couple times already. I'm getting the filter guard and case guard next. In your case it looks like the Safari tank will take a bit of a hit. I hope they are strong. The IMS is surprisingly strong, even though it looks like crap.

Good luck, have a great riding season!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote