View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 04:24 PM   #45
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witness
I like your writing style, it would even be good without the pics.
The pics are wonderful.
I'm interested in the dental angle, how much can one save?
Hi Witness,
It costs a fraction of what it costs in the U.S. I don't go to the dentist much. Like every 20 years. So I'm no expert. But when El Dentista looked in my mouth and shook his head woefully, I thought I was done for. But for 3250 Quetzals, he buffed out my whole mouth. That's roughly 400 bucks. It was a week before he took the Semana Santa easter holiday week off. So he agreed to clean my teeth and do two or three teeth in the morning and two or three in the afternoon for the entire week before the holiday, so I could go ride my motorsikle. This included drilling out all of my old cracked fillings in a dozen molars, fixing a broken incisor and buffing out minor flaws in three others and fillings in two canines and then buffing out everything when he was done so my teeth were shining. This seemed like a good deal to me. And mind you, I just walked in off the street. It was somewhat comforting to talk to the kid from California sitting next to me in the waiting room. His friend had recommended this place. But he only needed nine fillings for 150.00. I must say, Arno Jones (drrrags) on this forum is the one who posted the GPS waypoints to this place in his ride report, so it is to him whom I am truly grateful for this recommendation.

I consider dentistry like auto body work. Cut out the bad stuff and fill it with bondo. And I think Guatemalan dentists charge about the same as American auto-body shops.

Best,
John Downs

JDowns screwed with this post 04-07-2010 at 04:32 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote