View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,061
Hey Jamie,
I would guess that 14k is within life expectancy for a chain in a dual-sport environment. All the dust/grit, weight, and stress, will be higher than if you're just cruising the highway.

It seems to help to lube after a ride when the chain is warm, and let the lube sit and do its thing for a while before you ride.

I've been running a Scottoiler for about 7k now. After I got everything tweaked, it seems to do pretty well. I turn it up a couple of notches if it's dry/dusty, and keep it on 1 if I'm riding street. The only problems I've noticed (and they're small problems) are that a small bit of oil slings on the rim, and that the lubing is more thorough if you're riding all day, rather than short trips.

It's not as high-tech as the chameleon, but not as costly either, and has no electrics/electronics to fail.

The last thing I'd add is that chain maintenance/replacement is a fact of life; nothing will eliminate it entirely. It's also easier to replace a chain and sprockets than a final drive.

Brent