View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 04:59 PM   #106
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,352
It may not look like it on the vid, but I was trying my best to look for a way around him. But ... this *is* noob racing, after all. It's part of my charm.

The trials tire did OK in the mud. Normally when I give it gas on those steep hills, I'm used to a knobby hooking up and accelerating. The trials tire didn't exactly do that, it felt more like going through deep sand instead - churning away, making slow progress, but always progress.

The next race is this Sunday - Rd 5: County Line. I haven't decided if I'm going to go or take the weekend off. I'm leaning on going, but I feel pretty sapped out of energy right now, and the forecast is thunderstorms. If I do go, I'm thinking about putting the knobby back on. I'll probably go back and forth for a while until I decide which I really like better. The answer will likely depend on the terrain.

I'm also thinking about using this next race to give the 200 XC-W a try. I have a good bit of set-up work to do on it first, though. Rear spring, handlebar, grips, sag setup, tires, .... On top of that, a buddy is begging me to help work on his bike. Where to find the time ...

I had new goggles for this weekend and it was the first time I'd used them - Smith "Intake." Last year I was using Oakley "Crowbar." They fogged up, too. I think it's just the humid conditions, combined with a lot of humidity, hard breathing, and slow going. I was using Smith "Piston" before that, but switched to the Intakes because it seems a lot easier to find tear-offs for them. I liked the Piston's better, but not everyone carries tear-offs. That Haber Ventilator thing should be here Friday. Hope I can get it to fit. That should eliminate any fogging for good.
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote