View Single Post
Old 05-21-2010, 01:35 PM   #113
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,351
Forecast looks like it might be a little moist.

"Partly sunny. A chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs around 80. North winds around 5 mph...becoming east around 5 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain 30 percent."

That's better than the forecast for last week's race, though. At least then the heavy rain held off until the ride home. Hope we're at least that lucky this time around. They've had a good bit of rain this week, though, and it looks to continue all through the weekend. So even if no rain on Sunday, the condition will likely still be wet.

I don't require help, but help is always appreciated, even it's just stopping by to shoot the breeze while I wrench.

I got the new shock spring installed just moments ago. Sag is set. Not perfect, but close enough.

Next up is the Rekluse adjustment. Then spoon on my MT-16 rear tire. It's the best tire I have at the moment, at least my most trusted regardless of conditions, and since I haven't ridden County Line before and don't really know the course or terrain, I'm going to go with it.

After that, I think I'll call it done. Oh, I need to fix the damper collar around the steering head - it got a little sideways somehow. Then figure an appropriate damper setting. I'm new to the Scotts that was on the bike when I bought it, so I need to read up on that a little.

This will be my first time racing the 2-stroke, and the first time on this type of terrain with lots of elevation changes. I have very little experience on a 2-stroke, so I feel like I'm going quite a ways out of my comfort zone. But that bike is so light and agile, it's amazing - it's hard to deny that advantage it has. It feels like a mountain bike with a motor compared to my 450. I'm just worried about the power band on the hills. Some of those suckers are Steep with a capitol "S", not just steep, but gnarled up with rocks and roots, not to mention the trees and low hanging limbs. I don't want to lose traction and spin, nor all the sudden get traction and loop out with the someone unpredictableness (to me) of the 2-t power delivery. Without the experience of how it's going to handle ... it's these kind of things that I stress myself out over pre-race. Afterwards and it's all said and done, I usually find there was nothing to be concerned with. I hope that's the case this time, too.
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote