View Single Post
Old 06-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #15
Laros OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
The next day we needed to take a 2 and 1/2 hour ferry which only left every three hours. Thankfully, Dyno had looked up the schedule from home; if not we could have gotten to the dock and been waiting for up to 3 hours. We agreed to aim for the 10 am ferry, which meant we had to be on the road by 6 am. There was another short ferry to get to the big ferry, which we figured we had to hit by 8:30.

U S 1 is incredible! The longest bridge I have ever seen! We guessed it was about 10 miles - I will have to look that up.

There are two tunnels that take you from the bridge to under the ocean, presumably to allow big ships to go over top.

Then a short ride to the big ferry.

We got to the dock by 9 am - awesome! Time for some breakfast before boarding the ferry.

We found the most amazing place for breakfast in Ocracoke - patio tables in an old English garden.

Even had a pretty littler lizard come to say hello.

Okay, well fed we had a little time before we had to baord the ferry. Over to the beach, where we had seen signs showing a symbol for a jeep riding on the beach. We had dual sports, so we could do it, right?

Well the sand road to toward the beach was fun. But we did have our bikes fully loaded, and we had a ferry to catch. The sand got softer and deeper and Dyno and I decided we had better not chance getting stuck. Shakeyhands didn't see the memo. He was pushing and cursing and revving his bike before he noticed Dyno and I were a long way back on the "road."
Maybe beach riding is not a good idea at the moment.

Canucks Exploring Nicaragua
James Bay 2009
The Heart of Algonquin Park 2010
Outerbanks and The Smokies
Laros is offline   Reply With Quote