View Single Post
Old 06-14-2010, 09:51 AM   #17
Jenn OP
praise seitan!

Oddometer: 704
PLAN C! 7K Figure-8 Around the US!

Several years ago, my mom moved from SoCal to NE Ohio - and left a buncha antiques and stuff in my sister's garage. I should have ponied up with the credit card for a moving truck five years ago and now I am going to just DO IT.

The original idea was to go to my sister's on motorcycle - then moving truck to Ohio - then to my cousin's in Memphis to do the TransAm Trail - my cousin, my main riding buddy and his brother were all interested - and all dropped out due to time commitments.

Plan B, was for my friend and another friend to meet me for some time in Moab - but in the first week of August? OK, we're crazy but not suicidal and we want to have FUN not a deathmarch. The up side is that now my riding buddy can house sit for me and spend some quality time with the cats. :)

So, I offer Plan C!

Now, I'll leave my mother's house, visit my cousin in Memphis, see Graceland, head to New Orleans to see friends (haven't been there since 2002!), visit friends in Austin, adult cousins with teenage children in West Texas who I haven't seen in 10+ years and then home, via Canyon de Chelly, a quick stop at the north rim of the Grand Canyon and then the Eastern Sierras.

If you have done any of these sections - please chime in with recommendations. I'll also include a link to the map

== MOTO TO SOUTH CALIFORNIA ==
* 7/16 - Oakland to Big Sur (135 mi)
* 7/17 - Big Sur to Carpinteria (200 mi/fwy)
* 7/18 - Carpinteria to Juncal Campground to Big/Little Caliente Hot Springs (35 mi)
* 7/19 - LPNF to Simi Valley - (80 mi/dirt road/fwy) - load truck - drive truck Simi Valley to Las Vegas (300 mi/fwy truck)

== MOVING TRUCK TO OHIO ==
* 7/20 - A: Las Vegas to Barr Lake Campground (769 mi)
http://www.coloradodirectory.com/barrlakecamp/
B: Las Vegas to Big Springs NE (941 mi/fwy truck)
- McGreer Camper park
http://www.passport-america.com/Camp...mpgroundId=168
* 7/22 - A: Big Springs NE to Davenport IA (650 mi/fwy truck) - camp
B: Big Springs NE to Angola IN (950 mi fwy/truck)
* 7/23 - A: Angola to Toledo (84 mi), Toledo to Mentor (137 mi)
- lunch & dinner w/friends in Toledo, possibly Lorain
B: Davenport to Angola (318 mi), lunch with Jana; Angola to
Toledo (84 mi), visits in Toledo & dinner; Toledo to Lorain
to Mentor (137 mi)
* 7/24 - Mentor - unload, overnight

== MOTO TO MEMPHIS ==
* 7/25 - Mentor to Cincinnati (265 mi fwy/moto)
* 7/26 - Cincinnati to Nashville (275 mi fwy/moto)
* 7/27 - Nashville to Memphis (212 mi fwy/moto)
* 7/28 - Memphis - visit Graceland - shakeout/repack

== PLAN C ==
* 7/29 - Memphis
* 7/30 - leave Memphis
* 7/31 - to New Orleans (396 mi)
* 8/1 - New Orleans
* 8/2 - leave New Orleans to
* 8/3 - to Austin (509 mi)
* 8/4 - Austin
* 8/5 - Austin to Lockney (400 mi)
* 8/6 - Lockney/Plainview cousin visit
* 8/7 - leave Lockney to
* 8/8 - to Canyon de Chelly (600 mi)
* 8/9 - Canyon de Chelly
* 8/10 - Canyon de Chelly to Ten-X Campground, Kaibab Nat'l Forest (first come/first serve) 5 mi from park entrance (250 mi)
* 8/11 - Grand Canyon
* 8/12 - Ten-X Campground to Las Vegas (270 mi)
* 8/13 - Las Vegas to Big Pine to Mammoth Lakes (300 mi)
* 8/14 - Mammoth Lakes to Lee Vining to Yosemite walk-in camping
* 8/15 - Yosemite walk-in camping to Oakland (225 mi)

###

There is some flexibility here - obviously I'm planning a LOT of miles in the moving truck to push through to NE Ohio, and only 2 nights at my mom's house (she says she understands and expects me to take her Italy next year). Three nights at cousin's house in Memphis - and 2 nights in West Texas (the three cousins and their families are Lubbock, Lockney & Plainview)... but lots space for cushion and such.

View map for return from Ohio here - cannot figure out how to embed the Google map like some other forums allow...

Jenn screwed with this post 07-07-2010 at 11:36 PM
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote