View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
BMWzenrider OP
The Road Scholar

Oddometer: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrophobe
Interesting idea. Since they're not made for turning in the same manner as a motorcycle, do you have any issues while leaning the bike over? Either in traction or from the sudden change from that wide flat area?
Good question!
It is really not any different than a m/c tire that has been worn flat in the center from lots of highway miles.

Some of the high-falutin' hardcore corner carvers claim that they don't like the transition over the corner of the tire, but you get the same effect on a set of worn bike tires.

Here is a video of a dude on a Supercharged Triumph Rocket 3 running a 245/45R18 car tire on the back of his bike running with some other sport bikes on a nice set of roads in Western Wisconsin.
(I apologize for the music...)

I personally did about 6,500 miles of solo riding on my R1200RT with my car tire setup and never had any concerns. Those miles included a trip through the Black Hills of SD, the dirt/gravel/mud of the back entrance to Badlands NP, and some roads similar to the video in my part of Wisconsin.

I will admit to starting out a bit slowly at first, but soon gained enough confidence that I was leaning the bike pretty well.
2002 BMW R1150RA
In Memoriam: Harley, 1993-2010 You will be missed.
BMWzenrider is offline   Reply With Quote