Thread: Bicycle thread
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 11:32 AM   #15001
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
OK, sorry for the mix-up. (BTW, my crashed Motobecane was also a Grand Record, began life with Shitmano 600 garbage I quickly wore through and slowly replaced with Campy SR. Then crashed and it became a hat-rack for a while...)
mine started life with campi nuovo record (classic) derailleurs and shifters, but an assortment of other parts. I think it had a campi crank too, but the brakes were some other kinda crap that I upgraded. sewup wheels on Atom hubs (JUNK!). In 75, the jap stuff hadn't really shown up yet on higher end road bikes, that happened pretty fast over the next couple years with suntour's derailleur being much better at handling wide gear ranges.

Quote:
I too have a stuck seat post and did some reading. In my case this thing is stuck, I suspect because the elderly grease on the post did not stand up to the humidity in the garage where the bike hung out for the last , well, forever... I am told ammonia will break the corrosion and free up the post.

I'll get it a try tonight and get some pictures. I need to pull the seat post to pack the bike for travel. Back to the PNWet yet again.
that should be a little easier. at least I don't care about my seatpost, I want it gone, so I can get as brutal on it as I dare. ugh, just checked, its a steel seatpost (and an aluminum frame). which expands faster when its heated, steel or aluminum ?