Thread: Bicycle thread
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 04:04 PM   #15004
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,016
omg, this is like a disease.

went out at lunch today hitting the local recycled bike shops looking for some 700c wheels and stuff. found another bike instead, its not complete, but it has decent 700c wide rim wheels (rims are labeled 28x1-sumtin, but they had fat 700c tires on them, which I replaced with 700x40's that fit sweet) and the seat post isn't terminally jammed in. guy in used bike shop said it was gonna cost him over $100 to fix up and wouldn't probably sell for more than $150 anyways, so he let me have it as-is for $45, hah.

wanna change out the handlebars. already got a seatpost and new tires on it, and need to put v-brakes (has posts already), rear derailleur, chain on it, I'll probably swap out the cranks too, as it has those cheap riveted triple-rings, and I'm just going to turn it onto a 7-speed. mild bummer, its a threaded on freewheel and not a cassette, but ah well. its notably lighter than my existing fat-tire cruiser, these wheels should roll great. I've got to true up the rear a bit, but its a 36 spoke wheel with heavy stainless spokes, so it should be pretty easy.

(chainless, brakeless, etc)

so... this makes TEN bicycles, EEEK.

edit: hah! stuck those bars on a little longer gooseneck (more forward), and since they had one old brake lever on them already, I stuck a junk spare V-brake I had lying around on the front wheel, and shortened the funky chain it had and hooked it up as a midrange fixie, and shit, this is gonna be a good ride when I get it tweaked out. I think I want slightly straighter bars, maybe a little wider, like some modern mtn bike bars, and a lower long gooseneck (the one I had lying around was kinda high), and it will be perfect. a pseudo-cruiser that can book across the flatlands, and still climb a hill if I have to. heck, I might just keep the 3-speed front, since the 7-speed freewheel cluster on this wheel isn't nearly as high range as I'd like for a 7-spd.

I do believe its a 1999 Diamondback, originally this cheap thing
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...kway&Type=bike

if thats correct, the cluster is a 13-28, and the front is a 28/38/48

pierce screwed with this post 06-25-2010 at 04:48 PM
pierce is online now   Reply With Quote