View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #9
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,003
First Impressions

Ride Reports is a busy thread. There are tons of reports to read. No one can read them all. Believe me, I try. (Well okay, except for Gadget Boy) I usually try to make a determination early on whether or not a report is worth my time.

How do you get your report noticed? A unique or catchy report name is a start. Just make sure your report lives up to the name. I remember one report that went viral based on the title alone. 15 pages later when the crappy report actually started, many of us were disappointed. It was a mess. This happens alot when writers start their reports before the ride and the details of the planned ride sound good. I don't have to worry about this because I'm not creative enough to think up a catchy title.

I always do my reports after the fact. I like to select a few of my favorite photos from the trip and include them in the first post as "Teaser Photos". I try to select photos that are attention grabbing and maybe show the bike and terrain. This lets the reader know the report is one worth subscribing to. Rarely is the first day of the ride exciting enough to grab everyones' attention.

On my last report I only felt the need to use two "Teaser Photos":

dave6253 screwed with this post 07-03-2010 at 07:04 PM
dave6253 is offline   Reply With Quote