View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 01:02 AM   #2
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,375
Upper Shock Bolt

Not that this forum really needs more pics and talk about upper shock bolts but heres mine:

No pics of the brace but I'm sure you all know it.

Exhaust

I don't have any belief that changing the muffler will give me better mileage or more power. The two reasons I did it was the ability to have balanced panniers and the weight loss.

I couldn't justify the $$ for the Akrapovic. $700 + for a slip-on...can't do it! In the past with other bikes and quads I've just jumped on eBay and looked for a slip on from a bike with a similar size motor and I just make the mount and mid pipe. That's exactly what I did this time. $120 got me a brand new, in box, never opened Leo Vince Titanium pipe from a ZX10R Ninja with all the hardware. They had aluminum and carbon-fiber too.

The first thing I noticed was the weight difference, wow! That stock stainless can is heavy, infact well over twice the weight. The LV is a tad longer and roughly 1/2 the width which is exactly what I needed to make room for my new pannier racks.

I started working on making a mid pipe but pulled out the calipers and noticed the stock pipe welded to the muffler was EXACTLY the diameter I needed. I hmmmed and huuuued about cutting up the stocker but decided to not be a puss and just pulled the trigger so I clamped it in the bandsaw and cut the pipe off.

Cleaned it up on the bench grinder and viola! instant adapter:

Fits like a dream:

Stuff it in the stock location, attach springs and use supplied mounting hardware, 30min from start to finish and I have a $120 Titanium Leo Vince for my effort.

Looks like it should free up just over 2" to move my rack over:

The bike goes in Monday for chain and sprockets. Hopefully by then the Shiver forks have arrived and I can start tearing into that next. If they are delayed getting here I'll start building the new racks.

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US

Camel ADV screwed with this post 02-19-2011 at 05:37 PM
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote