View Single Post
Old 07-10-2010, 01:05 AM   #9
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by raider
Thanks for the reply! My problem is more fundamental than yours, in that I can't get mine to fit at all with the Akro pipe (check out how tight the fit is with your new pipe - the Akro is a bit taller).

The panniers not sitting parallel to each other is almost a Hepco trademark - my Strom was the same.

Did you think about a steering damper? Ever feel the need on such a long trip?
Yeah I know what you mean. The rack mount that runs over the pipe just clears. I will be cutting those mounts off and moving them as well. I was going to make the mounts similar to the factory BMW set-up. The only good thing I can say about the HB racks is that they never bent even with the crashes. I'm guessing it is due to all the movement as they can just flex and return to normal after. I keep thinking that if I beef them up I may be risking sub frame damage in the event of a crash. I guess the easiest thing is to not crash!

A steering damper is definitely on the list. This is my first off road bike (it's all relative) and I've never ridden a bike with a damper but I did have one on my last ATV and it made a HUGE difference in fatigue after a long day. After a few thousand km of sand, ruts and washboard in Mongolia I was wishing I had one on the GS! I'm waiting to see what the price is on the Scotts then decide between it and the RalleMoto.

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US

Camel ADV screwed with this post 07-11-2010 at 02:44 AM
Camel ADV is online now   Reply With Quote