View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #5
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
More info

Thanks for the help so far. Another thing I forgot to mention is that it seemed like the performance was going down towards the end. It probably did have something to do with the carburetor intake mount. The fuel economy and top speed were less towards the end. The fuel economy went from around 70-80 mpg to in the low 60s and upper 50s. The top speed went from an indicated 60-65 mph to around 50-55 mph. The acceleration was a little less to, but worse in the upper range. It could have been the transmission, but it has a new belt and the roller weights and springs all appear to be in great condition.

As far as swapping out the engine, it should be pretty easy, but I have just removed the old engine yesterday. It was an extremely difficult job, because almost every bolt was tightened by a 500 pound power lifter, striped, or had been rounded due to over tightening. The motor mount bolt was EXTREMELY tight. I have been lifting weights for years, and with all of my strength and weight, it would not even budge slightly. I had to drill out the inner part of the bolt, and crank the wrench with every bit of strength I have. The bolt was not only way over tightened, but had red lock tight on it!

So anyways, I am waiting for the new motor from ebay, a 1987 elite 150 engine. I should be able to bolt it up pretty quickly. It has low miles on it, only around 2995. I will watch the manifold on this one, probably replace it due to its age.

btcn screwed with this post 07-14-2010 at 12:54 PM
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote