View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 11:08 PM   #13
Exile OP
The Mundane and The Magic

Oddometer: 197
Arkansas continued...

The next morning saw some paved roads that eventually gave way to gravel and dirt as we got into the Ozark National Forest.

We continued to ride on through the beautiful countryside and stopped at Rita's for a homestyle buffet lunch. Rain followed but didn't last long.

As the day waned, the rough terrain was taking its toll. Sure enough as I was leading on a very rocky switchback, the unfortunate happened.

Going about 5 mph around the turn had some devastating effects in the rocky road. My rear tire had slid out and I went down on my right side. The crash broke my right side highway peg, dented in my skid plate, and broke my "apparently poorly welded but has survived an interstate crash at 45 mph" rack in 5 places. It broke a factory subframe mount and sheared a bolt leaving only one bolt to hold the whole thing together.

Luckily as we approached the infamous Warloop Road after limping down the mountain we came across a farmer stick welding a cattle coral. We stopped and he agree to let us take the 4 hours it took to fix the damage. He was a very friendly man who stubbornly refused payment. Thank you Dad and my high school welding class for teaching me how to stick. Don't let the pictures fool you though, Mike did most of the welding, since he was a steel worker in his past life.

Once we finished, he told us where we could camp for the night at Shore's Lake Campground in the National Forest. The next morning started with Warloop Road after initiating the next generation ADVenture rider.

Then it was lunch at a pizza buffet as we added some new stickers and discovered Chris' true nature...

We continued on into Oklahoma after the big river crossing.

We are currently two days into Oklahoma at a motel in Alva. I will post the rest of the photos at the next wifi stop.

My Site
TAT 2010 RR!
DR650 Stator Rewire
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote