View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #40
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z
This past weekend, I rode the Illinois section south of the Lewis and Clark Confluence tower just north of East St. Louis. I used the Vertices site to create a route, then rode the route as closely as I could. In several places, I was unable to follow the route because either the MRT is on bike-only paths, or in one place there was a gate.

Curiously, I never saw a single MRT sign anywhere in Illinois.

That said, it is a really great ride, except for a few sketchy sections through East St. Louis. the ride along the river to the south is absolutely gorgeous, and on a hot day if the conditions are right, one can get a few blasts of really cold air past the limestone quarries.

Anyone want to work on the Central and Northern sections of the Illinois MRT?

Jamie
Dang, didn't know you were coming up the river this far! Looks like you had a great ride. +1 on the sketchy sections, although I haven't been in E. St. Louis for some time.

I did get out last week and rode part of the MO side of the trail from the city limit sign for Arnold, MO to the St. Louis riverfront. Got stopped by the flood gates put up for the river being over flood stage.

I have some waypoints for the signs and a track noted for the approx. 17 miles of the route. Need to figure out how to put comments in the waypoints so that the ballons pop up for Google Earth (BigDogAdventure's .gpx files do that, so I will use one of those as a guide).

Also, I have an issue with my stator, and found out that after riding about 100 miles that day, my battery was toast. The CX has a high voltage windings to run the ignition system, so the bike runs fine, but with no battery, there is no lights, horn or such! Got a pair of stators in the mail Monday, and am looking at getting one rewound and installed post haste.

Also enlisting a buddy of mine who thinks he has tracks of the MRT on the Missouri side as well - that may save some work.

TTYL