View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 09:44 PM   #22
Exile OP
The Mundane and The Magic

Oddometer: 197
Oklahoma continued...

The next morning we said our goodbyes to Mike, Ryan was still sleeping, and headed out to finish off Oklahoma.

And we got another look at the damage to Mike's bike.

Then we prepared ourselves for more straight roads, with an occasional cattle ranch. We also wrote some reminders on our bikes, see if you can spot them.

Then we hit some sandy paths and Tavis had a small spill but nothing major, then back to the straight, hot roads.

We finally got to Elkhart, KS and Cimarron River Campground in the National Grassland after 283 miles that day. We set up camp then I took a nap as Chris went to explore and somewhere along the way lost his 1 gallon reserve tank.

Finally the morning that we were looking forward to arrived. We would finally leave the barren wasteland of cows that is Oklahoma. After the rainstorm that night, the roads were nice and packed...for the morning anyway. At least the breeze was cool...all day in fact.

And we saw some more wildlife, and found an area that was a little too wet...and had some fun.

And saw the tracks of those before us.

After I tried to snake my way through this bog, the others decided to go around.

As we approach the New Mexican border we found a cow that tried to escape Oklahoma...it almost made it.

Then we were in New Mexico.

And saw hills and curves again.

About midway through NM we came to the rocky uphill climb. It was so fun, I couldn't stop to take a picture.

And the view from the top.

Early afternoon we made it to Colorado and the nice town of Trinidad where I sit typing this. Valcom Motorsports was first on the list where we changed our oil and Tavis got a new air filter. It was a nice stop off, as we talked with the owner about our trip.

Then we headed for Trinidad Lake state park. On the way I noticed another broken weld on my rack which caused a stress fracture on a second weld. Back to Valcom where I was directed across the street to the co-owners welding shop. His guys fixed the welds in no time while we talked with the other owner about the dirtbike and hare scramble scene in Southern Colorado. I want to move out here.

Here are some pictures of Trinidad's main street and Trinidad Lake. The state park was a very nice place but almost expensive as a motel. So we chose the motel and got some laundry done. I'm pretty sure a couple of the water holes we rode through today had a higher ratio of cow piss than anything.

The best parts are yet to come. Colorado begins tomorrow.

My Site
TAT 2010 RR!
DR650 Stator Rewire

Exile screwed with this post 01-22-2012 at 06:23 PM Reason: Forgot a day through OK.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote