View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 09:55 PM   #28
Exile OP
The Mundane and The Magic

Oddometer: 197
Colorado Continued...

Bandaged and repaired, we made our way out of Salida with the mountains on the horizon.

Now we had been told in salida that Hancock pass was closed because the original bridge is too "decayed" and the new one washed out. But we decided to make our own judgement as to its "passibility."

So after searching around I found this nice long rotted board to "bridge" the gap arond the gate.

Removed the softbags and one box on my bike and did this.

And success!

After looking more closely at the sign, I saw it read differently.

For those passing through after us, we stashed the board to the left of the trail under a tree.

I suggest you follow our lead. Missing Hancock and Tomichi passes is not an option. They were amazing as the following pictures will show.

Getting up to Hancock was definitely a struggle through the rock strewn path.

After the tough climb with the low oxygen and my previous injuries, I needed a rest. I found this nice comfy recliner waiting for me part way up.

And then back at it.

Do It!

Finally we made it all the way up.

It was awesome up there, until we realized we had to go down the rocky paths to get to the far trail along the mountain to Tomichi Pass...

And the sheer rocky cliff down...

Going back up, we were able to see what we just had to come down.

Then we were rewarded with the view from Tomichi Pass.

As we headed down, continuing on the trail, we came to a fork and saw this sign. In our opinion, its only 1-wheel drive.

It was all downhill from there as we got back out into the open valley.

Then we stopped to eat at this Trading Post, which has some pretty amazing burgers.

Not kidding.

Then we really got the open valley, and came across this nasty looking goat.

And took another rest in the shade.

After this we came to the long winding road down to the valley floor to Lake city. And what an awesome road that was to ride. Couldn't stop to take pictures. We continued along the trail to a National Forest campground for the night.

This is a really nice place, but no showers...we were told we could go bath in the 40 degree river...why not.

It wasn't that bad...

My Site
TAT 2010 RR!
DR650 Stator Rewire
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote