View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 06:22 PM   #161
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,438
so a few weeks after the Gammon/Lake Eyre trip with Philmeup, it was time for a run over to Melbourne... wasnt a lot of time to do it, so it looked like there wouldnt be much time for dirt

so the road tyres went back on the bike for the first time since i got her..

day one i was headed from Adelaide to Bendigo..6 or 700kms i guess..

was late leaving Adelaide as usual..

was making 'good time' on the highway untill this fella came over the horizon...

whoopsie...

couple of hundred bucks and i was on my way again... 50 kms later i was over the border, and decided to turn off the highway and hit some 'smaller' made roads to ...make up some more time...

just made it to Jeparit to get some fuel (8kms left on the fuel gauge|) only to discover the fuel depot shut at midday, the after hours number was not answering, and the pub had no more ideas..

discovered 'everyone' was at the footy... rode in and asked around abit.. a guy on a dirt bike made a few calls and then said...'yep, follow me'.. we rode about 10kms out of town to an old farm house where a dear old lady was waiting with a jerry can gotta love the country folk...

off again to Warraknabeal and fueled up 'properly' there..

day was getting away again...my 5pm arrival was looking more like 7pm.. the sun dropped and it started to get COLD!

rode the last 1.5 hours into Bendigo in the dark, had a few close calls with 'roos and the onboard computer was telling me it was 2 degrees...my shivering made me think the computer was correct

Made it to Bendigo, to discover that my 'spot' tracker had got a flat battery about 400 kms earlier and there was a bit of 'concern' as to where i was... Spot is great... but it also provides people with 'more' reason to worry...

anyway, next day was an easy day down to Melbourne.. first i cut across to Maldon and hit the Bakery for breakfast..

Spent the rest of the day winding down thru Guildford, Vaugh Springs, Yandoit etc

some great little country roads and old buildings out there..

stopped in at Daylesford and battled the tourist masses for a late lunch then off toward Melbourne again..

spent a few days in Melb, catchin up with some mates, hitting the MCG for the Socceroos send off game and catchin up with mum

then time to hit the highway back to Adelaide... of course the weather came in just as i left..

was running late as usual, so decide to detour from Horsham out past Mt Arapillies and aim for a friends place at Penola for the night..

a few more close calls with 'roos and another chilly night.. and finally got to Penola..

next morning was a peaceful foggy one..

so decided to take my time the last 400kms back to Adelaide and detour thru the Coorong again..

and finally got home....in the daylight for a change....

GoneAgain screwed with this post 09-07-2011 at 02:25 AM
GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote