View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 10:37 PM   #11
teachnsurf OP
Bonnie Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Days 3 & 4

A couple of days ago, I wasn't too sure what it what be like travelling with @large. Now that he and I have reached our destination - Carnation, Washington - I can assuredly say he's a 5 out of 5 on the Dude Scale. I give myself a 4.

We left Grants Pass yesterday for Bend, Oregon, with a stop at Crater Lake in mind. The ride was out of this world. If you are thinking about doing it. DO IT.

Euphoric riding is how I would describe it. My motor was purring. The road surface was smooth. Jerry and the band were jamming in my helmet

Side note: With a windscreen, the Bonneville is a very suitable tourer (keep in mind I'm quite compact and light - built like a MotoGP racer ).

Working our way through the forest to Crater Lake.

Mt. Mazama blew its top a few years back and what was left filled with water.

From Crater Lake, we made our way to Bend, Oregon. Throughout the whole trip we did an incredible job staying of the Slab and sticking to two lane highways.

When we reached Bend, we discovered that there was bike race (criterion) zipping through town.

It was a pretty big deal. Floyd Landis was even there, and the town was hopping with energy.

After watching the race for a while, we went for a walk and then had elk burgers at Deschutes Brewery.

Elk burgers medium rare = awesomely delicious.

Our evening was spent having a slow dinner (a very good thing) at a new restaurant in town, Bourbon. Again, if ever thinking about going to Bend. GO! It is beautiful.

Day 4

It was the earliest morning of the trip. We were on the road at 6:30 to beat the heat. For the most part, mid-day temps had been over 95 degrees.

We bee lined north out of Bend and then cut west on 26 to work our way to Mt. Hood. From there, we headed north on 35 towards Hood River. After a great breakfast the the Hood River Hotel, we crossed the Columbia into Washington and followed 14 along the river.

Looking east.

@large has a good eye.

Looking west.

Pancho and Lefty.

"Living on the road, my friend, is gonna keep you free and clean."

Then, we booked it north to Yakima and then over the Cascades to Carnation, Washington - our final destination, the house of @large's brother in law (a soon to be inmate).

@large is leaving his bike here, flying back to SC on Tuesday, and then coming back up north to ride with his BIL in August; BIL rides a R1150R.

BIL and his gracious wife opened their house to us (they have two awesome boys), fed us great food, and offered incredible views.

Tomorrow the three of us ride, locally. I can't wait to tool around the Bonnie without bags.
This is my Bonneville. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My Bonneville is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My Bonneville, without me, is useless. Without my Bonneville, I am useless. I must ride my Bonneville true. I must ride faster than my enemy who is trying to beat me. I must beat him before he beats me. I will.

1st Epic Journey

teachnsurf is offline   Reply With Quote