View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010, 01:23 AM   #180
Sol Erzenberg
Lost somewhere

Oddometer: 1,330
Get well soon GA, trust me, I know how boring it is to be resting up with a broken leg..

I busted up my left leg pretty badly (in 12 places) years ago in Rugby League, spent just under 3 months in traction in The Flinders Medical Centre. That was the end of Rugby playing days for me..

Anyway, I went & broke the same leg again (Tibia & Fibula) & shattered my ankle a couple of years ago while riding single track North East of Allawoona. I lost an argument with a mallee stump, it turned my leg around 180 degrees, had to ride all the way back to Wanbi, it's difficult changing gears with your left hand & watching the track at the same time..

Went to a real dodgy place (Modbury Hospital) to get it fixed, spent 47 hours waiting in the Emergency Room, due to the pain I kept falling in & out of consciousness & they eventually put me on portable guerney bed & left me in the hallway.
Due to the 'long' wait my leg & ankle swelled up to about the size of my thigh, a Doctor (also part time Taxi Driver) eventually told me at the 47th hour that I had to go home as they would not be able to operate until the swelling went down & that I had initial stages of Compartment Syndrome, so "it would be best to keep my leg elevated at home".

Spent 10 painfull days at home, until the swelling went down enough to go under the knife. Booked into The Wakefield Sport Hospital in the City & the operation took place the next day (I should have gone there in the first place).

As a result, I have got a leg full of plates & nine screws holding it all together & have lost 50% movement in my left ankle. The Wakefield Hospital advised me that if Modbury had operated on my leg in a reasonable timeframe, I would still have full movement in my ankle (I'm never going to the Modbury ever again).

I thought a lot about giving up bikes alltogether, however after a long rest decided to slowly get back into riding, as I do enjoy it very much & it's a big part of my life.

These days I'm not riding full on challenging single tracks all the time, have slowed down quite a bit, not taking as many risks as I used to, but still get out there and I'm really enjoying my riding again.

That's my 10 cents worth, hope it helps in some sort of way.

Anyway hope you get well soon.

Cheers, Sol..
2005 Honda XR400R.
1998 Yamaha DT200.
1981 Maico 490M.
1979 Honda CR125R Elsinore.
1978 Suzuki RM 100.
ARIEL MCC

Sol Erzenberg screwed with this post 07-29-2010 at 01:33 AM
Sol Erzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote