View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010, 11:04 PM   #81
Exile OP
The Mundane and The Magic

Oddometer: 197
Oregon

We woke up to a cold morning in the California mountains at Cave Lake Campground in the National Forest. After packing up we treked the 30 miles up the trail to Lakeview, OR for breakfast at this restaurant called Jerry's. We ordered the Hungry Traveler; allyoucaneat pancakes, 3 eggs, 6 strips of bacon, hashbrowns and 3 cups of coffee for under $10!

After we filled our stomachs, it was onto the rest of the trail. It was nice to see trees again.

The roads were great, and just the nice easy going that I needed. This is the "dual sport" terrain.

We had a nice time on this abandoned railroad...that they tried to block off.

It was upsetting to see that most of Fremont National Forest was either devastated by wildfire or being selectively logged.

Then we hit some sand again, just when I thought it was over.

And then back to the trees, and some nice smooth roads to Crescent, OR.

We camped at an RV park in Crescent and woke up to a foggy mist in the low 40 degrees. We only had mesh gear...

So we were forced to go down the street for some hot coffee and breakfast.

We decided to skip the trail to cruise down to Crater Lake, then meet up with the trail after that. On the way down I saw the biggest DNE sign I've ever seen. Apparently Oreganians can't pump their own gas or drive in the right lane...

The temperature didn't rise much as we climbed into the Cascades.

Still snow in these mountains.

Luckily the former volcano that is Crater Lake was just around the corner.

As we were taking photos, these little golden mantled ground squirrels came out of the woodwork. Apparently they have been fed to domestication...

Finally we headed to rejoin the trail.

And then we found the world's tallest Sugar Pine.

Some miles from the trail we found this.

And tried to continue through since we found no work around or update to the trail.

The pictures don't do this justice, but this road has been closed off for at least 8 years since the trees growing in the middle of it are that old. I find it hard to believe everyone has been making it through there. Its about 4 miles to the next road. Anyway, it was too rough for our bigger bikes. So for those following, take a right onto Hwy 29 at 349.27, or at the road to the Sugar Pine. That takes you to Tiller for gas and food.

Then it was up and down the mountains to Canyonville.

These roads must be dangerous...yes that is a car.

Then we got on this really awesome ATV trail.

This trail took us through some really steep hill climbs, up to 80 degrees in some places. Then we got to this steep steep hill that was layered with large loose rock. I made it halfway up, Chris almost got to me.

Then I tried to start again and lost it.

Chris finally got injured...

If you thought the uphill was bad, you should see the downhill.

It wasn't that bad.

Not far from our destination, we made a left turn at 432.17 and were stopped a mile later by this.

This landslide looks pretty old as well. Just continue straight on Hwy 95 to I5. Then you can go up to Canyonville or down to the trail. We have a little over 100 miles on the trail till the coast. We should reach it by lunchtime tomorrow.

My Site
TAT 2010 RR!
DR650 Stator Rewire

Exile screwed with this post 07-30-2010 at 08:09 PM
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote