View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 02:17 PM   #51
edteamslr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBonBon
I'd take a WR250R in a heartbeat, but ONLY if I packed very light (which I now do). My gear, including weight of the soft luggage, is about 40-45 pounds (with no camping gear), and includes tools, spare tubes, and everything I'd ever need. Much more weight and it would cancel the 250's positive's and fun factor - it's light weight, handling, and fuel economy.

FUEL SYSTEM: A fuel injected system, to me, is a plus, simply because you'll get the best possible settings for any altitude automatically. On long trips with frequent altitude changes, it's a huge blessings. Fuel Injection is not as dead-simple reliable as a carburetor of course, but I'd trust one anywhere. Any new (or new to me) bike that I purchase WILL have fuel injection or I won't buy it - I've had enough of trying to sort out carburetor settings.
Abridged. This post is a breath of fresh air. It speaks of someone who challenges the received wisdom that so many others quote without thinking. The advantage of the WR really is in it's packing light, fun handling, hi-tech (but DEPENDABLE!!!!). It's predictable that the DR would come first and that XR would be next and I don't mind that my bike comes 3rd because it's an honest appraisal that doesn't detract from the qualities that make WR's so good at what they do.
edteamslr is offline   Reply With Quote