View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010, 07:06 PM   #44
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,278
July 31st 2010

Our day started once again really early. I woke up at 0540 and took a walk around camp and watched the sunrise.

When I came back Cheryl had camp almost entirely broken down. We were packed up by 0700 this day and we headed it. Great night to sleep yet again, and a cool start to the day. Had a bite to eat, what I can say we need to eat, and headed towards New Hampshire.

The BITE to eat and for the life of us we can not remember the name of this in the middle of nowhere restaurant. Just remembered, this restaurant was called the HARDWOOD STEAK HOUSE. It was a newly looking log cabin building all by itself and the food was all massive and cheap!

Leaving Maine was sad just because it meant we were really heading home. I think the both of us are truly appreciating what we are able to do and just enjoying being able to ride together like this. We work well as a team and we are so glad we got new intercoms because it just wouldn’t work without them. Cheryl is amazing with the GPS and today we were able to ride some beautiful back country roads and even got on some dirt. Our tires we happy.

Once we got into NH, I saw a sign for Mount Washington. Although we did not plan riding up this massive North East mountain we did. $28 for both bikes to ride up an 8 mile road to the summit of Mount Washington in the White Mountains. The road has 35% unpaved and no shoulders whatsoever. Tight for cars and challenging for bikers as we had to keep control at very slow speeds all the way up.

The valley was warm and clear and the summit was in the clouds and it was 40 degrees F. Not unusual for this mountain to be in the clouds. You can hike, take the train or drive up to the summit of Mt. Washington,
6,288-feet.

These mountains are near and dear to my heart. I worked for the Appalachian Mountain Club while in University in their Hut system.
http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/whit...huts/index.cfm

The Cog Railway is one of the world's great railway adventures. The track runs up a three mile-long trestle with a maximum gradient of over 37%, making it the second-steepest mountain climbing train in the world and the only one entirely built on a trestle.

soph9 screwed with this post 08-19-2010 at 04:43 AM
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote