View Single Post
Old 04-04-2005, 12:35 PM   #160
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman
No kidding. I remember Boehm writing about buying the bike after Greg died. I see that you were in YB's with him, but did you know Greg (if you don't mind me asking)? Have fun with the resto.
Sure did. Had him over for dinner, camped with him a bunch of time, put him on the YB board of directors. I remember when he first got involved with the YBs and was at the Larz Anderson Eurobike day. We sent him out in our Civic to retrieve coffee for the masses. I think he came back with about 20 cups of coffee and a couple dozen donuts and was just loving that he could contribute. I think that pretty well summed him up: big happy puppy that loved motorcycles and motorcycle people. I miss that guy pretty immensely. I moved to California in the fall of 99 and we couldn't quite meet up. He was supposed to meet up with us in Morro Bay in March of that year to do some camping, but he got sent to Spain to do tire testing. We made fun of him around the campfire, but we all missed him and envied him quite a bit.

I talked to him a few times after that, the last time when I was in LA at a trade show. I called him and we started to coordinate a bit for meeting up at WSB. He had the access to the Motorcyclist tent and was going to get a couple of us up there for the races.

About a week after that, I got an email from a friend of mine with a link in it. The note said, and I'll never forget this, "Dave, I didn't know him, but I know he was a friend of yours." There was a link to an article on line about Greg getting killed coming back from the Honda Hoot. Tina and flew back to NY to go to his memorial service, which turned out to not be a somber affair at all, but rather a series of funny stories about Greg. I thought it kept with his character - "how can we make this more fun?"

I miss the guy quite a bit and am pretty honored to be caretaker of his bike. I'm not going to make it a perfect machine, but rather a regular rider - just like Greg was.

Greg's best friend, Jim O, is working for Sport Rider now, doing their Bitchin' Fresh Kit segment every month. Jim's making a living in the motorcycle world doing bike modeling for a few manufacturers. If you see a Kawasaki catalog and a guy hanging off a sportbike, that's probably Jim. He's racing Greg's old SV racebike these days, usually out at Willow Springs or Buttonwillow. I saw Jim a couple months ago when we got the bike and we had it in the back of the truck. It made us all a little melancholy, but we didn't talk about it much. We mostly had some beer and caught up, but Greg was the 600 lb. gorilla in the room and we all knew it.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote