View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #16571
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,751
In a perfect world, after the sale of a motorcycle, the shop hopes to do ALL service to the bike. Routine maintainance, a few farkels, repairs and some warranty work. Some people take the shop at its word and NEVER touch their bike. The temptation for the shop is then to price gouge and make up busy work to make money. They kill their own customer base doing this.
One of my buddies has a Harley and he doesn't know a flat head from a torx bit screwdriver. He got reamed by the dealer to the tune of thousands for a bad cam bearing and motor mount they installed backwards. He now patronizes a really good mechanic who is a full time fire fighter and does bikes in his off time.
Dealers need to earn the customers trust by charging fair prices and doing competent work. Some do, some don't. If the motorcycle industry is ever going to turn around and gain more riders they ALL need to be fair and honest. My local dealer charged me $70 to mount a tire I brought in with the wheel only and they didn't even balance it. That was the first and last time I will ever use the dealer service dept.
I am eagerly waiting for my WR250X fuel pump recall notice in the mail. I am the original owner and get YAMAHA literature in the mail now and then. Mostly surveys. Lets see how long it takes for the proper notice and my date with the dealer to replace my fuel pump free of charge. I doubt it will be anytime soon.