View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 10:00 AM   #52
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
Tested my Hit-Air in the dirt: very good

I deployed my Hit-Air jacket (a new one with the 250 ms keybox) two weekends ago riding my 1200GS along a power line road in northern lower Michigan. My son was riding behind me on his Honda CRF-230. I was pretending my 500-lb beast was really a dirt bike at heart!

I hit a deep patch of sand going just a few miles per hour (a few mph too slow, I expect) and I dumped the bike. It was a slow fall, so I more stepped-off the bike, rather than "flew off". The cord pulled and the bag inflated as expected.

In this soft sand, I didn't need it's protection - but it gave me a very comforting feeling. I disconnected the tether and walked over to my son. The bags stayed inflated for a few minutes - enough time for him to whack/punch me many times as hard as he could to test the protection. I felt he could have smacked me at full force with a 2x4 in the back or chest and I would have been fine.

Dirt riding, where you expect to drop multiple times, is not the right environment for this jacket. Having said that, it is exactly the protection I want if, God forbid, I find myself sliding on the pavement.

For you lurkers or hand-wringers - quit worrying about the inflation time, the bottle on your chest, what if I forget...: just buy one. Those are minor issues compared to the benefit of that 2" air cushion around your vitals.

Also - I did my first all-day ride with my tether connection sensor and it worked great. You can build your own for a few bucks.

You won't regret it.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote