View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 04:40 PM   #57
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,148
Why don't people buy airbag jackets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Kid
If these are effective, why aren't racers using them?
This has become an intriguing concept for me, but I think I'm beginning to understand. Part of the issue is simple market awareness that (hopefully) will grow with time. Another major part is more complex: the psychology of motorcycle safety and individual choice.

I started the JoMamma thread "Given the choice, Americans don't wear helmets: WTF?" Reading the responses, I got a better insight to the psychology of motorcycle safety and personal choice. I think many logical people see motorcycle safety as an oxymoron, of sorts. If you are REALLY worried about safety, you wouldn't ride at all. (You would drive a 2010 Taurus wearing helmets.) So, once you have accepted that, where do you set your personal line.

What I see driving back/forth between states with/without helmet laws is that American riders are very likely to choose to not wear a helmet at all. I don't think any degree of marketing savvy will get them to choose an airbag jacket.

I am glad John at Safer-Moto is still pushing to make the technology better, while still affordable. I can only hope more people finally catch on and riding becomes safer for all of us and our insurance rates get better!
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote