View Single Post
Old 09-14-2010, 08:53 PM   #66
Rebuilder OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Got the frame back from the welder. Cost me around $300 for the frame, fork and rear hub but whatcha gonna do if you can TIG it yourself. Turned out pretty good.... and it was still straight. Now the question is to smooth all the welds or keep them as is? I'm leaning towards smoothing. Thoughts?

Few post weld shots.

With that out of the way I moved on to handlebars.

Too thin?

I may have to something different with the clamping system

I'll get back the bars later... have to get to my friends house to use his bender.

On to the seat. Yeah the seat. This was fun. So, not sure if you guys know but you can buy these....

....for just under $400. So that was out of the question. So why not make one. I've made a few vinyl seats, leather shouldn't be that bad.

Anyway, so I started.....

1/8" steel pan... check.

Bend the back.

If you can't Duck it.....

I got the leather from a $5 jacket. Just enough as long as I don't screw up.

Working conditions were a little tight. That's Harley and my girlfriend just burnt some toast.

The old Singer worked great although if the leather were any thicker I would have been screwed.

Three layers sewn together. One below the pan and two above to hold the......

.....pillow stuffing

Once stuffed I riveted it up. I wish it didn't have the areas showing the steel but prior to sewing I accidentally cut where I shouldn't have so I had to make do. It's hidden, but I know it's there.

To get the color right I just used some shoe polish.

I can live with that.

One thing I did that you can kind of see here is I added a springer seat post. Should get a few inches of cush.

Rewind a little.... I got the bars bent in the midst of seat building. Here they are.

The riding position is a little more stretched than I wanted it to be. It's sportbikeish in feel.... but wAAy cooler.

So that's about it for now. I've got some shots of mounting the motor and the rims are painted but other than that this is where I'm at with the build. Up next, finish the tank, get the wheels built, prep and paint, plumbing, electrical, odds and ends, this and that, Motor work, final assemble and then ride it. Oh Boy, better get to work.

Rebuilder screwed with this post 09-14-2010 at 08:59 PM
Rebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote