View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 08:20 PM   #94
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,841
We probably all have our favorite style of ride report, as well as preferences as to the locale(s) covered. Yet there are some riders whose RR's stand out and draw readers regardless what our preferences have been in the past. Inmate metaljockey is one of those. His narration, his photos... the method in which he takes the reader along on his travels... it's captivating. And yet... ZOA, with her imperfect English, manages to convey so much with a few words and a multitude of small photos.

In other words, there is a wide spectrum of methods, styles, abilities that still manage to create very readable, enjoyable ride reports. If I had to make a guess, it is the report from someone who is revealing his/her humanness - something we readers can connect with - that gives them their quality.

Some reports I've read have good photos of places the rider saw in the ride, but they are posted too small to make out the details, and sometimes it can be the details that make the difference between a good photo and a great photo. In the early days of my own digital photography, when an 8MB card was considered adequate, and a 32MB card was huge, I would often take photos at low resolution in order to cram as many onto the cards I had with me as possible. Now I do everything I can to fill a 16GB card before my battery runs down, using the highest resolution available. Back in the day, I carried extra cards and plenty of spare batteries. Today I will carry an extra camera so as not to miss any once-in-a-lifetime shots due to a camera not working. A two-day trip will usually provide another 300 to 400 photos to go through when I get home, from which I may find 30 or 40 worth keeping.

It has been said that a picture is worth 1000 words. If that is true, a person who has trouble writing, or does not feel sufficiently literate to author lines of prose, can use photos to tell the tale, connecting them in logical sequence and merely providing suitable captions for the images.

The most important thing is to just do it. No matter how poorly a ride report might appear to its author, someone, somewhere will read it... and wish they could do one as well.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote