Thread: Craig's Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2010, 08:40 AM   #137
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,970
KLR 650 Tengai ready to go! - $1700 (Damascus)

KLR 650 Tengai ready to go! - $1700 (Damascus)

Date: 2010-09-20, 9:21PM EDT
Reply to: sale-dnyau-1964787952@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

The same bike was made from 1987-2007, this one is a 1990 Tengai (KLR 650-B2), which was a city version. It means that the seat is a touch lower, it has the low "city style" front fender, the turn signals cancel when you push the button (don't have to slide it back to center), slightly softer suspension, and most of all, a two-piston front brake (not great but better than most KLRs). Has about 19,000 miles.

The tank and side panels were replaced to make this a better campus ride for the U of Md and as a city commuter. Ironically, the bike never got dropped in the year and a half we've owned it. The custom tall windshield is actually effective, the turn signals are tucked in where they shouldn't get broken off if the bike falls, there are 10mm socket holes in the side panels for easier seat removal, a connector for a battery tender, etc. The body is obviously a repaint that came out pretty good. It's painted with engine paint, so it's somewhat gas-resistant. If you spill a bit at the pump, wipe it off right away and use some rubbing compound later - you won't strip the paint the way most enamels will.

The bad:
The countershaft leaks about three drops of oil whenever we park the bike, so we watch the oil level. A new bushing, seal, and o-ring are only $32 and the replacement is easy - we just never got around to it.
The tank has a small dent in the right.

The good:
It's been taken care of and that shows!
New clutch cable (Pretty sure that we also changed the throttle cable),
Welded crashbars around the radiator as part of the bodywork,
Pelican case toolbox under the license plate,
Massively improved rear lighting, including 3 LED brake lights, & lit turn signals
Enlarged plastic cargo rack,
EagleMike doohickey with the better torsion spring,
The metal choke thimble on the carb,
New rear tire (Kenda 761) with only a couple hundred miles on it.
Improved headlight is MUCH brighter than stock.
A bottle of blue Locktite comes with it. I use the stuff on everything I unscrew.

The JC Whitney topbox is a mixture of good & bad. It's there, holds a helmet, and whatever else. However, the latch never worked well, so I drilled a hole for a lock to securely keep things shut. That worked till somebody tried to force it open and there are now two small cracks. One is at the lock hole and the other is at the right hinge. Just being up front about it and again, the box still works. JC Whitney puts these on sale now & then for 30-some bucks, so it could always be replaced cheaply.

With the updates, the price is $1700 firm. I do have the original bodywork and tank for another $400.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/m...964787952.html