View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #48
Nessman OP
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,539
Story time!

Life is very hectic at the moment and will be that way for a while, I put the GN on CL for $250 as I wasn't going to have time in the near or medium future to deal with it. It's a rolling basket, the front master cylinder is in a box, the rear brakes aren't camming properly and it needs a LOT of little things to be rideable and even more to be close to safe.

Guy shows up and after hearing and seeing the ugly truth he shells out the cash, but he doesn't have a truck so his friend will pick it up in a few days. Not wanting to drag this out I load it into the back of my truck and haul it to his house.

After unloading the bike we park it in front of his garage and I start wrapping up my tie-downs...I hear the bike start, I hear it drop off the centerstand, I hear it go into gear. Before I can say "dude, it gots no brakes remember" he's off and running. The front yard isn't very big so he doesn't get much speed up before he's Fred Flintstone braking down a slight grassy incline with eyes big as saucers, luckily a wooden fence long past it's prime is there to act as a forward motion impedement.

BAM. The bike stops and I run over to untangle bike and rider. "It doesn't have any brakes" sez him. I told him that I thought we covered that in the initial conversation while throwing in my tie-downs and quickly heading home.

I kinda felt bad until I saw the bike on Craigslist for $1100 three days later, replete with 20 year old tires and my cool Sportster muffler mod.
Good luck to him.