View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 02:42 AM   #93
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,880
Laugh One year, two bikes

I'll have my first anniversary as a rider on October 1st. Bought a '02 Dakar from a super fellow up in Newport. I thought I'd never get the hang of it at first, and had three slow-speed drops (two at stop signs - shudder!) just learning how to get my feet in the right place at the right time. Things slowly got better, and I think that Westfest in Darby, MT, was the turning point. Nanc came with me and we made a lot of new friends and I was able to go on a couple fun rides with them. Nanc learned that some very nice ladies enjoy riding. She even took the first ride of her life there!

So three weeks ago, I fly down to Boise and ride back with a nice shiny blue R1150Rt, hoping that the two of us can get into riding together. So far, she has trusted me with one ride behind me, and promised more in the future.

To be honest, at first I thought the RT was superb on the road, but a bit of a pig while riding in town. Six hundred pounds is a lot of bike for an old fart! But things are coming along pretty well now. Stop and go traffic is getting easier to manage, and smooth shifting is showing up. But the braking still needs some finesse.

The best thing about riding the RT is that it has shown me just how agile a dualsport can be. I'm suddenly able to handle the Dakar like it was 200 lbs lighter! Well I guess it is, compared to the RT.

At any rate, I can't imagine getting rid of either one at this point. Now all I have to do is spend more time on both; getting better on the pegs on "Precious" and doing some more road miles on "Blue". Hopefully with Nanc riding behind me.

p.s. sold my truck...two wheels are more fun!
Attached Images

I was born lost and take no pleasure in being found." ~ John Steinbeck

WU7X is online now   Reply With Quote