View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #32
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
The cube was actually my very first project out of the chute. It gave me the confidence to tackle project #2. I think my table may have been #3. Here is #2...a freakin' huge bashplate.

I bought some decent sized aluminum sheets from a friend at work, so this is the first time buying materials.

I made a mock-up first with some thin cardboard and then went to it. I also cut this out with caveman tools, so it also kicked my rear end. One whole day with a jigsaw running metal blades. What a freakin' nightmare! That's when I knew a plasma cutter was in my future. I used stock mounting holes, and stock hardware. I notched the left for the doohicky adjustment, and notched the bottom for oil drain access. Lots of using a hand file for shaping.



I cut ventilation holes with a 1 1/8" holesaw. I think that's what led to the early demise of my DeWalt's trigger. She got a little too hot. It's already been fixed with a new trigger fround on ebay.

I wanted better protection for the water hoses, hence the huge size. It looked funky at first, but I like it now. I have ideas to make it better, but I have more ideas that I'm already working on, so the lowly bashplate will have to wait. At least it's better than the stock plastic p.o.s.

I ground the outside edges on this too, but I have some heavy fillet welds on the inside corners.

kirkster70 screwed with this post 01-14-2012 at 06:57 PM
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote