View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 01:39 PM   #121
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringacho
It seems you have been having a lot of success and really like the 252 miller set up you have. Great work.

Have you been using the TIG unit you purchased at all for your projects or just MIG? Have you really felt the need for the TIG?

I'm sure with the use of TIG it would have been a lot slower going for just a hobby welder.

I am currently shopping for a set up and hope to have something by Christmas time. I move around a lot so I'm leaning towards a used miller 135 or 140 so I don't have to worry about 240 V and just do small projects around the house.

When I'm ready to upgrade I figure I can sell the 135 or 140 for what I have in it on craigslist.

Again, nice job with the projects.
Thanks for the kind words!

Unfortunately, I have only used the TIG for practicing on for about 10 hours. I haven't made a single thing with it. Everything has been made with the 252, which is an awesome machine.

The ability to TIG is a desireable skill to have, but I've been having so much fun with the MIG that the TIG is just collecting dust. I used it for one week, and it hasn't been plugged in since. I've actually been thinking about selling it to buy the tubing bender I want, but that may be a foolish decision. I can start practicing on the TIG if I ever get any downtime between my low buck projects, but I have 3 projects lined up right now after the lift, so that may not happen any time soon.

The TIG offers more precise control of everything with zero spatter and zero cleanup if performed properly. I bought a big MIG and what's considered to be a small TIG, because I figured I would use the TIG (when I learn how to do it) on things like exhaust, etc. and the MIG on thicker materials. TIG would have been the preferred method for the seams on the bags I just made, and if the welds were done properly, you don't grind them down.

So MIG and TIG both have their place, but for everything I have done to date, I have used the MIG with good results. If I had it to do over again, would I buy the TIG again? Yeah, probably, because I know it's something that I want to try to learn still.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote