View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 03:38 PM   #236
CrozB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMoto
I received a note from Sena tech support about this issue (slightly edited for clarity):

'The buzzing noise is due to signal degradation caused by separation of the Buetooth devices. By keeping Bluetooth devices closer together and on the same side of the body as the SMH10, this will help minimize this particular noise from occurring.

The noise is actually minute and is not affected by system volume. It is most obvious when system volume is at the lowest setting. As system volume level is increased, the music will mask the minute buzzing, and it will not be noticeable. The noise is minute enough that it is rarely noticed by a speaker clamp user. It is more noticeable in an earbud clamp due to the enclosed ear canal. However, the buzzing noise will never over-power the main audio output.

If buzzing noise is detected and it is bothersome to the user, a power cycle on the SMH10 will resolve the problem.'

What I need to know from anyone that is experiencing the issue - does the placement of the music device minimize or eliminate the buzzing?

I would also like to know which earbuds you're using.

Please PM or email with with details about your particular situation. Include your name and email address so I can track this and report back.

Thanks.

Ok I got my replacement adapter (SMH10 A0303) directly from Sena and the problem is exactly the same with the new unit.
"The buzzing noise is due to signal degradation caused by separation of the Bluetooth devices. By keeping Bluetooth devices closer together and on the same side of the body as the SMH10, this will help minimize this particular noise from occurring."
This is so not true. First of all, all my testing has been done on a table, without even connecting the unit to my helmet. The units are sitting right next to each other and even on top of each other while I was on the phone with Sena support.
"The noise is actually minute and is not affected by system volume."
The first part is false! It is NOT minute. At least I find it very prevalent.
"It is most obvious when system volume is at the lowest setting. As system volume level is increased, the music will mask the minute buzzing."
It is true that the higher the system volume the louder the music and the buzzing sound does NOT increase with the system volume. However you are putting one sound on top of the other sound. In my case, unless I was def, there is no way I could turn the system volume up to a level high enough to drowned out the buzzing without blowing out my ears. Note my workaround in earlier post using an inline volume adjust will allow you to turn down the music and boost the system volume to a better mask the buzzing, but still I you can hear it especially when stopped, and this is just a work around.
"If buzzing noise is detected and it is bothersome to the user, a power cycle on the SMH10 will resolve the problem."
It just comes back so this is not a true work around.

I have seen suggestions for changing ear buds, and possible radio interference. Thanks for these suggestions and while I am not an engineer, the issue is only happening with the adapter (in my case the SMH10 A0303). I currently you the same phone for pushing stereo music to my Plantronics Backbeat in ear headphones and do not hear any of that buzzing noise at all. As for ear buds, I have tried 4 different ear buds: 2 Shure (from the E and SE family I think) 1 set that came with my Samsung Epic 4G and 1 old IPOD set. All have the same results. Also remember you can plug in speakers to the back of the SMH10 A0303 (instead of ear buds) and hear the same results.

I am surprised to hear Dave say they have sold 60-80+ of these units... and there is only a couple of us complaining?

I am not posting this here to bash or even to complain about RocketMoto, Sena or even the Base units themselves. The units are solid enough, RocketMoto is a great retailer, and Sena was fast at getting me a replacement adapter. I am posting this so that hopefully we can come up with a solution, or at least more feedback.

I am going on a road trip this weekend with my wife and will give the units a proper shake down... but I think I will just be using the stereo speaker headset and forget the in-ear option until I hear the issue has been acknowledged and resolved.

-D