View Single Post
Old 11-03-2010, 09:09 AM   #488
RFP52IA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
This is my first post here hello.

As a MSF Coach and Coach Trainer it felt very good reading through this thread and seeing so many refer back to their training. It is hard to explain how rewarding it is to have previous students come back and say, " I got into trouble but remembered what you said and got out of it." A few people maybe missed a couple things. You definitely have to shift in curves, on ramps and off ramps would be an example, but you shouldn't squeeze in the clutch and coast through turns.

I do, and probably always will, consider myself a beginner. My advice would be to be a lifelong learner. Learning doesn't end with the completion of any class or with any period of time in the seat it's a life long process but you have to remain open to that.

I taught an Experienced Rider Course a few years ago. We had a old school "biker" in the class. His wife had taken our BRC and refused to co-sign the papers for him to get a new bike unless he took a class and got licensed. He came in with a MAJOR attitude and the day started rough. At lunch he stood up in front of everyone, apologized, and said he felt humble because he had no idea how much he didn't know. It took 30 years but he got it.

I will also throw out another remark. In almost every crash with VERY few exceptions, no matter who got the ticket or the blame, the motorcyclist did something wrong that lead to that crash. Drivers do not want to hit you. Every time you raise the side stand it is your skill and ability that is tested. Drivers are just one of many hazards you need to be aware of.
RFP52IA is offline   Reply With Quote